Variety’s programs are designed to be flexible to allow you to apply for the items that best meet your individual needs. Every child is different, so every application is considered on a case by case basis. Variety aims to ‘fill the gaps’ and prioritise requests for which there are no alternate sources of support.
Variety Queensland provides grants to children aged up to and including the age of 18, who are sick, have special needs or are disadvantaged, and who live in Queensland and are Australian citizens or have permanent resident status.
Variety helps children and their families with much-needed support for things like specialised equipment, medical supplies and educational learning aids.
Variety doesn’t provide grants for the following:
- Ongoing funding, such as repairs or maintenance of equipment
- Home modifications
- Salaries or administration expenses
- Carer’s expenses
- General and cash
- Travel expenses
- Retrospective funding
Variety does not provide equipment and services that can be provided by government. However, payments can be made where their is a gap between what government pays and the actual cost.
Grants are considered based on the quotes provided. Where all other things are equal, Variety will consider approving the cheaper of the quotes provided.
Applications for grants may be submitted at any time.
Variety’s application forms are powered by SmartyGrants, an online grant application system. You can access the application forms by first viewing our various programs and then following the buttons to get to the application forms.
For any technical issues with the online application system, such as forgetting your password, you will need to contact SmartyGrants on 03 9320 6888 between 9:00am – 5:00pm AEST, Monday to Friday or send them an email by clicking here.
Once an application has been submitted:
- Applications are continually considered based on the number of applications we have and the amount of money available for grants. In many cases worthy applications cannot be made until sufficient funds have been raised to pay for the equipment or service requested.
- We will keep in contact with you to keep you advised on the progress of your grant.
- Variety’s preferred payment is on invoice, with payment made directly to the supplier. Where this is not possible, reimbursements may be made to the family/organisation for approved purchases, on receipt of original receipts.
- The grant should be spent within 12 months of the approval date. After this time, the grant will expire and a new application will need to be submitted. Grants for feeds, nappies and scholarships should be spent within 12 months of the approval date.
- Once the equipment has been delivered, the ownership is transferred directly from the supplier to the child’s family.
- The money granted by Variety cannot be transferred to another piece of equipment. If the equipment granted is no longer suitable or required, prior to being purchased, the grant will be cancelled. You will be able to submit a new application straight away.