We couldn’t do what we do, without people like you!
At Variety – the Children’s Charity, volunteers are the backbone of our organisation. We couldn’t run our events, or raise anywhere near as much money as we do, without their hard work and dedication.
If you’ve ever thought about donating your time to a worthy cause, then look no further than our Volunteering Program. Whether you’re a member of the community, looking to help out at night or on weekends, or part of a corporate team looking to engage your staff through social responsibility initiatives, there are so many ways to get involved with Variety!
Volunteers are happier, healthier and sleep better than those who don’t volunteer*
95% of volunteers say that volunteering is related to feelings of wellbeing*
96% of volunteers say that it “makes people happier”*
Volunteers contribute about $25.4 billion to the Australian economy*
*Estimated by Dr Lisel O’Dwyer (University of Adelaide) in 2010
Upcoming volunteer opportunities
Keen to help and get involved? Check out the list below for upcoming volunteer opportunities.
Description: Shake, rattle and roll for kids in need! We’re looking for volunteers to help with collecting donations at intersections right across Victoria throughout February, March and April.
Suitable for: Individuals, Small Corporate Groups
Applications open: January 2018
Description: The Volunteer Grant Writer will work closely with the Fundraising & Partnerships Manager to help maximise the financial sustainability of the organisation.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Conducting research into available grants and other funding opportunities
• Research requirements and suitability of available grants
• Seek information from funding bodies (philanthropic trusts, government departments, local councils etc.), community groups and potential project partners
• Collaborate closely with the Fundraising & Partnerships Manager in grant proposal preparation
• Write and prepare grant applications, prepare supporting documents and prepare grant acquittals
• Other related duties as delegated
Experience in the Non for Profit Sector, specialising in Grant applications.
• Documented grant seeking/grant writing experience
• Strong research skills
• Strong organisational skills
• Ability to work within tight deadlines
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
This volunteer position would require a minimum of 2 hours per week, either at the Variety Office in Port Melbourne, or from home.
If you are interested in applying, please forward your CV & covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org attention Jessica Doherty.
Please ensure you address the following points in your covering letter:
• How have you been involved with grant writing?
• Do you have excellent written communication skills? Please explain
• How many hours can you dedicate to this position throughout the week?
Description: Rub shoulders with the sporting elite at this AFL-endorsed event. We require table hosts, raffle ticket vendors, ushers and more. Click here to find out more about the event.
Suitable for: Small Corporate Groups, Individuals
Applications: Closed until 2018
Description: It’s back! The Variety Bikes for Kids Program has made its triumphant return in 2017, spearheaded by long-time Variety supporter Senator Derryn Hinch. We’ve raised enough funds so far, to give away 200 bikes to children in need! We’re currently looking for expressions of interest from people who would be interested in volunteering for the bike build on the day.
Suitable for: Corporate Teams, Individuals
Applications open: Now – click here to apply
Description: 5000 children, 3000 carers and 500 volunteers will descend upon the Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre to help children in need, celebrate the joy and magic of Christmas.
Suitable for: Large & Small Corporate groups, Individuals, Families
Applications open: October 1st 2017