The Variety Motor Mouth Program has been created to assist children who have limited speech and rely on augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) aids to express themselves.
The 2021 Variety Motor Mouth Camp will run from Friday 1st October – Sunday 3rd October at Point Walter Reserve in Bicton, and is supported by P&N Bank and Ansvar Insurance.
Participating as a Family
The camp is designed to increase confidence and competence of AAC users with their device, and improve the system use by the user and family. It’s also a great way to build friendships and create a sense of community.
To be eligible for the Variety Motor Mouth Camp the applicant must:
- reside in WA
- be using an AAC device
- be aged between 6-18 years
- have at least one adult family member or carer who can attend camp for the full duration
- be willing to be involved and want to improve their AAC use
- be able to work in small groups in a busy sensory environment
- have a Speech Pathologist who can support the application and be available for additional discussion if required.
View the full camp guidelines and eligibility here.
If you want to join our upcoming camp and meet the eligibility requirements, apply here today.
Participating as a Volunteer
The Variety Motor Mouth Camp is supported by a great bunch of volunteers. Volunteering at the camp is a great professional development opportunity, with the chance to work with children with complex communication needs and their families. You will have the chance to further your knowledge and experience in the area of AAC.
To be eligible to participate in the Variety Motor Mouth Camp as a volunteer you must:
- have a current Working with Children Check
- have experience working with children that use an AAC
- be over the age of 18 years
- be able to work in small groups and assist children in busy sensory environments
- be able to attend for the duration of the camp
- be able to attend a pre-camp information session
- participate in all camp activities
The following volunteer roles are available:
- Speech pathologist
- Speech pathology students (3rd and 4th year)
- Occupational therapists
- Occupational therapy students (3rd and 4th year)
- Educators – teachers and education assistants (education support and mainstream)
- Sibling recreation support
- Other allied health professionals
View the full camp guidelines and eligibility here before you apply.
If you want to join our upcoming camp as a volunteer and meet the eligibility requirements, apply here today.
Before you apply
Make sure to look through our guidelines and eligibility documents before you start your application.