We couldn’t do what we do, without you!
At Variety – the Children’s Charity, volunteers are the backbone of our organisation. We couldn’t run our events, or raise anywhere near as much money as we do, without their hard work and dedication.
If you’ve ever thought about donating your time to a worthy cause, then look no further than our Volunteering Program. Whether you’re a member of the community, looking to help out at night or on weekends, or part of a corporate team looking to engage your staff through social responsibility initiatives, there are so many ways to get involved with Variety!
Volunteers are happier, healthier and sleep better than those who don’t volunteer*
95% of volunteers say that volunteering is related to feelings of wellbeing*
96% of volunteers say that it “makes people happier”*
Volunteers contribute about $25.4 billion to the Australian economy*
*Estimated by Dr Lisel O’Dwyer (University of Adelaide) in 2010
Keen to help and get involved at our Variety Kids’ Experiences? Check out the list of volunteer opportunities below.
If you would like to Volunteer to assist with Variety SA Kids’ Experiences please:
Register as a volunteer – Click here
As you are volunteering with children, we ask all volunteers to provide a valid working with children check.
If you are an existing Variety volunteer with a valid working with children check, please provide your reference number by email to [email protected]
If you do not have one, please follow these simple steps:
- Variety SA is registered as an authorised volunteer organisation with the Department of Human Services.
- A Working with Children screening is to be completed by our volunteers by going online at the Department for Human Services.
- Once your free volunteer application is completed you will receive a reference number, this number is to be provided to the Variety SA office on [email protected]
- When we receive this reference number, the Variety SA team will confirm with the Department of Human Services that the you are a registered volunteer.
- Once completed the Department of Human Services will advise you with a notification of cleared or not cleared.
- Please forward this email to [email protected] and we will contact when all volunteer criteria have been met.
Attention: Volunteer Coordinator
Variety – the Children’s Charity Tent 75 South Australia
PO Box 1235, Marleston, SA, 5033
Volunteer Coordinator – [email protected]
Phone 8293 8744 with any queries
We thank you for your assistance!
In recent times, with companies and corporations focussing on corporate social responsibility, we have been overwhelmed with requests for their staff to volunteer, and we have had to put a structure around our volunteering opportunities for corporates.
To be eligible for staff volunteering opportunities, Variety offers a Business Partnership that includes volunteering for up to 20 staff members, along with many other benefits.
If this is something that you would be interested in, please contact Brylee at Variety SA for more information.
Variety, The Children’s Charity South Australia requires that every volunteer:
- Be responsible and accountable for their conduct at all times, acting honestly and in good faith in the interest of Variety, the Children’s Charity and its stakeholders
- Treat others with respect and courtesy at all times
- Take responsibility for the health and safety of themselves and others
- Carry out their duties in a lawful manner
If you wear a costume that covers your face or disguises your image, then you are required to apply for a free Working with Children Check (WWCC) as a volunteer. To apply for your WWCC register yourself here and you will then be contacted by the Department of Human Services . Please note that applications can take up to 8 weeks to process and with the new requirements coming into play from 1 July 2019, this may take a little longer for your certificate to clear. More information is available on the Department of Human Services website here or you may find their FAQ page helpful.
In particular, when dealing with children:
- Ensure that a safe environment that protects children from harm is provided for all participants
- Understand and commit to compliance with South Australia’s child protection legislation https://www.legislation.sa.gov.au
- There is to be no physical contact with children at any time
- There is to be no unaccompanied and/or unobserved activities with children
- Use positive and age appropriate language when talking to and in the presence of children
- Avoid language and/or behaviour that could intimidate a child
- No photographs are to be taken of children
Variety, the Children’s Charity:
- Is an equal opportunity employer
- Acknowledges its obligation to provide a safe environment for volunteers, participants and staff
- Volunteers are covered by State Occupational Health and Safety Legislation
- Volunteers engaged in approved activities are covered by Variety’s public liability, personal accident and professional indemnity insurance