A special message from Variety in the wake of the recent bushfires in South Australia.
We are incredibly saddened to see the devastation caused by the recent bushfires, and like so many, all of us at Variety – the Children’s Charity SA are planning how we can helpfully assist and support kids and their families in need in fire affected areas. We will be consulting with our partners and other organisations in impacted communities to determine the most efficient and useful ways that we can respond by providing help where and when it’s most needed. Our priority remains clearly focused on our mission to empower SA kids who are sick, have special needs or who are disadvantaged in any way.
We are working with local communities to determine the medium to long term needs this fire season and are accepting financial donations that will go towards helping kids in need in these areas. Once the need is clearly identified, we will update the Variety community on how, where and when these funds will be distributed.
If you or someone you know has been impacted and are in need of support now, we encourage you to contact to us directly on 08 8293 8744 or emailing [email protected] to discuss how we may be able to help. Useful resources and relevant links are published below.
Like so many we are incredibly proud and thankful for the efforts of the firefighters and volunteers on the ground. Our thoughts are with those all over the country, including our Variety family, who are dealing with the impact of this crisis.
We have complied a list of resources that we feel may be especially relevant to our Variety community.
- The National Disability Insurance Agency have released some information for participants and their families affected by bushfires. For information call the usual NDIS number – 1800 800 110 which is open call centre hours Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm. The website says people affected by the fires will be “prioritised” to make sure they can still receive support, replace equipment etc. Providers have been told that the priority is to provide support and services to people who need them. Payment will be made after the emergency through an “urgent plan review” if necessary. A number of NDIA and Local Area Coordination offices are still closed due to the fires. Further details can be found on their website.
- If you need a place to stay, Accessible Australia are trying to help people find accessible accommodation. If you need accessible accommodation or would like to volunteer your home or a bed please visit their Facebook page.
- IDEAS are a national disability information service. They have lots of emergency information at their fingertips. Their phone number is 1800 029 904 and further details can be found on their website.
- If you’re unsure about talking to kids here is an interesting piece on psychological first aid for children and adolescents you may find helpful. We also encourage you to reach out to organisations like Lifeline, Black Dog Institute, Kids Helpline or Beyond Blue if you are feeling overwhelmed or need to have a conversation with someone about what is happening.
- If your family needs tailored support, take a look at the Australian Psychological Society website or talk to your GP.
- The DHS website has information regarding applying for financial assistance for those affected by the SA fires – https://dhs.sa.gov.au/services/disaster-recovery/accordion-11
- A new bushfire recovery centre has been opened at Lobethal to support Adelaide hillls communities and businesses – https://dhs.sa.gov.au/latest-news/media-releases-2020/new-bushfire-recovery-centre-opens-in-lobethal.
- A relief centre for Kangaroo Island residents is located at Kingscote Football Club. More information – https://dhs.sa.gov.au/services/disaster-recovery/kangaroo-island-fire-recovery.
- Vinnies SA have a form on their website for assistance for those affected by the bushfires and have suffered loss of property, damage to buildings or lost vehilces, machinery or stock – https://www.vinnies.org.au/page/Donate/Vinnies_Current_Appeals/Vinnies_SA_Bushfire_Appeal_-_December_2019/
You may also want to read
Variety Ball Early Bird tickets on sale now. BOOK TODAY
Book your table before Friday 10 April to go into the draw to WIN a $1,000 WISH Gift Card